Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®)
Author/s: Isabel B. Myers and Katharine C. Briggs
|Purpose||To assess personality type/preference on four dimensions|
|Administer To||Individuals 14 years and older|
|Reading/Education Level||7th Grade|
|Administration Time||15 – 30 minutes (number of items depend on form used)|
|Scoring Options||User Portal / Online / Client Services / Hand-scoring|
|Publication Date||First Publication: 1962; Form M: 1998; Form Q: 2001|
|International Qualification Level||B|
|Training||Compulsory 4 day Accreditation Training|
|Language/s:||English, Afrikaans (+ 21 languages)|
The MBTI® instrument helps people transform themselves by giving them a powerful tool for improving how they communicate, learn, and work. For more than 50 years, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) instrument has helped millions of individuals throughout the world gain insight into themselves and how they interact with others.
The instrument is scored using item response theory (IRT), one of the most powerful item-rating methods in modern test theory, ensuring the most accurate prediction of a person’s true type.
- Form M (Step I) includes 93 items and provides the basic MBTI® four-letter type.
- Form Q (Step II) includes 144 items and provides the basic MBTI® four-letter type and results on 20 facets of that type. It is the next step in personal and professional development using the MBTI® assessment. Form Q drills down to a finer level of detail to explore personal variation within each type.
Isabel Myers’ unique implementation of Carl Jung’s theory of psychological type, the MBTI® instrument, determines references on four dichotomies:
- Extraversion – Introversion
- Sensing – Intuition
- Thinking – Feeling
- Judging – Perceiving
Combinations of these preferences result in 16 distinct personality types.
Areas of Application
The MBTI® is useful in development areas including:
- Personnel development
- Career transitions
- Educational settings
- Leadership development
- COMPLETE REPORT: This option provides an all-in-one Myers-Briggs® assessment plus interpretation.
- PROFILE REPORT: The report provides a profile of a client’s MBTI® type at an economical price.
- INTERPRETIVE REPORT: This report delivers a concise yet thorough interpretation of a client’s MBTI® results.
- INTERPRETIVE REPORT FOR ORGANISATIONS: Employee strengths and target areas for development are identified in this report.
- WORK STYLES REPORT: The report compares two individuals’ types and helps them to learn to work together effectively.
- TEAM REPORT: This report provides information on the team type and individuals within the team.
- CAREER REPORT: The report provides easy-to-read graphical information that helps find the best occupational match for a clients or student.
- STRONG AND MBTI CAREER REPORT: This report provides information that gives clients a complete career development picture.
- THE COMMUNICATION STYLE REPORT: The report provides general descriptions about how individuals with certain preferences tend to prefer to communicate.
- DECISION MAKING STYLE REPORT: This report helps a client learn about how personality preferences influence decision making.
- CONFLICT STYLE REPORT: The report describes how the person is likely to approach and deal with conflict situations.
- FORM M STEP I STRESS MANAGEMENT REPORT: The report describes how likely the person is to experience and react to stress. It also suggests ways to help manage stress successfully.
- MBTI STEP II PROFILE REPORT: This report explores the facets of a client’s MBTI® type.
- MBTI STEP II INTERPRETIVE REPORT: This report helps clients to see how their facet results show how they express their type preferences.
- THE LEADERSHIP REPORT USING FIRO-B AND MBTI: This combined report helps clients learn more about their leadership style.
South African RESEARCH
There is extensive research done using the MBTI® instrument in South Africa. Studies have also been conducted to investigate personality types and leadership focus, reward preferences, transformational and leadership personality preferences, and the distribution of psychological type in South Africa.
HOW TO ORDER PRINTED MATERIAL
- Download Order Form
- Submit your order form to one of the following offices:
HOW TO ORDER MBTI ELECTRONIC REPORTS
This assessment is available on the JvR Online user portal, which enables you to manage the full assessment process.
Terms and Conditions
- Additional fees will be applicable when requesting Client Services to assist with administration (only applicable where user portals are available and a client chooses not to make use of this facility)
- Material / Reports only available to suitably qualified users
- Prices as quoted may change without prior notice
- Errors and omissions excepted
- Courier costs are not included in the above quoted prices
- JvR may have to order some of the above items. In such instances delivery times will be extended
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, MBTI, Step I, Step II, Step III, Introduction to Type, and the MBTI logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Myers & Briggs Foundation, Inc., in the United States and other countries.